Without any doubt, honey is an amazing natural product. The health benefits of this food are well-known around the world and people have used honey as a food and for medicinal purposes for hundreds of years.
The sweet taste of honey is the reason why both adults and children love it. Unfortunately, honey is considered to be a costly ingredient in many households.
This is the reason why many people usually opt for the most inexpensive variety found in stores. They also choose honey that has interesting (but misleading) ads.
In some cases, they are attracted by the container. But, only a small number of people are aware of the fact that when they are buying cheap honey they are not getting pure, raw honey.
Manufacturers often modify the content of honey in order to make it cheaper. A scientific study conducted not while ago and presented on the Food Safety News website has shown some shocking discoveries related to inexpensive honey.
Namely, it turned out that more than 75% of all honey types found in supermarkets have been treated with ultra-filtration.
This is a special type of filtration which eliminates impurities including wax traces. Of course this activity is good, but the elimination process also removes some useful structures found in honey like pollen.
According to the manufacturers the filtration is required because it keeps the honey safe from crystallization and extends its shelf life. However, without pollen, honey doesn’t have the same positive effect on our body.
The scientists that were conducting the aforementioned study claim that the most important reason why people should stay away from ultra-filtered honey is the fact that once the honey is treated in this way, no one can tell where the honey comes from.
One good example of honey that is treated in this way is honey that comes from China. Namely, this honey is usually polluted with a wide range of antibiotics and even some metal. These manufacturers practice ultra-filtration and no one knows exactly where this fake honey is coming from.
Reputable Brands that Sell Fake Honey
So, we will highlight a few reputable brands and location where you can find honey that doesn’t have pollen:
- Specific packages found in McDonalds and KFC have honey without pollen
- Different honey products found in CVS Pharmacy and Walgreen’s come without pollen
- Almost 80% of the honey found in Target, Costco and Sam’s Club don’t contain pollen
- Winnie the Pooh honey found in Walmart doesn’t contain pollen.
In addition, there are types of honey which include added glucose and fake honey that contain large amounts of low-quality mead. Modified honey is still honey, but it doesn’t provide all the health benefits.
Unfortunately, modified honey is found in many stores, so it is the best idea to learn how to determine which honey is modified.
How to Determine which Honey is Modified
- In case the honey doesn’t crystallize even after long period of time, it is very likely that it was modified because pure, natural honey crystallizes after short time when it’s left in the fridge.
- Don’t forget to check the label. Stay away from honey packed with high fructose corn syrup and commercial glucose.
- Put 4-5 drops of iodine in a glass of tap water and pour some hone after that. In case the honey becomes bluish it contains corn starch (modified honey).
- Pour some vinegar into the water and add some honey too. In case you notice foam, the honey contains plaster.
- Use a match or phosphorus to burn the honey. In case the honey ignites, then you have bought safe, pure honey.
- Fill one tablespoon with honey and put it in a glass filled with tap water. If the honey doesn’t show any signs of dissolution after a minute or two, then it’s pure honey. On the other hand, fake honey or honey that has low quality dissolves instantaneously in the water.
* You have our permission to reprint this article via creative commons license if you attribute us with a live backlink to this article. – Best Herbal Health