Hippocrates once said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” And this is what the famed alkaline diet is all about – turning your diet into an enjoyable way to heal your body.
This diet plan aims to reduce your intake of acidic foods in favor of more alkaline foods. By doing this, you can regulate your body’s pH levels and maximize the power of your body’s internal organs.
In this contest between alkaline and acidic foods, the winners should be nuts and anything green. Sugars and fats should be completely forgotten about.
Regulate your pH with an alkaline diet
The fundamental philosophy behind the alkaline diet says that when your cell environment is acidic, the body can suffer from illnesses and poorer health. If this environment is more alkaline the body will be much healthier.
- There are 15 levels on the pH scale.
- They go from 0 to 14, and 7 is neutral. Levels 0 to 6 are acidic, and 8 to 14 are alkaline.
Keeping your pH level regulated is vital for bodily functions. Your pH level directly affects your blood pressure, blood vessels, and metabolic and respiratory processes.
The imbalanced human body
When your diet contains a lot of acidic foods, there are many possible consequences which you’ll regret in years to come:
- You’ll absorb minerals and nutrients less easily.
- Your cells will stop producing energy.
- Damaged cells will lose the ability to repair themselves.
- The immune system will respond slower to diseases.
- You’ll suffer fatigue and be more prone to sickness.
Does society encourage acidosis?
With the constant bombardment of advertising, there are many different ways that harmful foods have been promoted.
Animal products constantly feature in adverts. Meat, chicken, eggs, dairy, as well as flours and sugars, are very acidic. Fresh greens, on the other hand, don’t get much of a look in in ads.
And this is despite the fact that an alkaline diet regenerates tissues and reduces inflammation. Furthermore, it returns all those minerals and nutrients that your body has been missing.
Products that cause an acidic pH
There are many foods and products which trigger different illnesses and gradually do damage to the body. For example, many medications can increase acidity.
Some people choose sweeteners to avoid sugar, but these can also cause damage as they contain extremely high levels of acid. As we mentioned, the most acidic foods generally are: meats, cereals, legumes, chicken, fish, and eggs.
As you can see, choosing to correct your pH imbalance is one of the best decisions you can make in your life.
The alkaline end of the pH scale
On an alkaline diet you need to consume 80% alkaline food. Once you’ve stabilized your pH levels and feel happy with the results, you can then maintain a balance with a 60-40 mix.
The most common alkaline foods are:
- Green vegetables
- Spices and condiments
4 Health Benefits of an Alkaline Diet
By following this diet plan you’ll achieve a pH of 7.36 which will vitalize cells. On an acidic diet these deteriorate and this accelerates ageing.
2. More energy
The nutrients and minerals you’ll get in this diet will considerably improve your cell functions.
This is because minerals like potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium are like a pure energy injection for your body.
3. Stronger immune system
If your body is acidic, your blood will become the perfect home for bacteria or a virus, and, therefore, for diseases.
But if your body is more alkaline you’ll be much more resistant.
4. Ideal body weight
Although losing weight isn’t the main aim of this diet, it does bring results.
After adopting this diet you’ll quickly burn fat and you could even achieve your ideal body size.
Tips for a good alkaline diet
- Start gradually: Getting rid of all acidic foods at once will have a negative impact. It should be a slow transition: remember that you’re starting a new lifestyle.
- 80-20 distribution: Don’t rush to see quick results, or only eat alkaline foods. Give yourself a treat now and again, it’s fine. Divide your plate into 80% alkaline foods and 20% acidic.
- Replace foods: Change rice for whole-grain rice or quinoa. There’s an alkaline version of pretty much any traditional recipe.
Remember to always consult a doctor about your diet. And don’t forget to exercise and enjoy yourself!