This type of berry, native to North America, is one of the most potent groups in terms of antioxidant content, which is part of the reason they are so widely sought for culinary applications, not to mention their unique flavor. Scientifically classified in the Aronia genus, there are about half a dozen different species that usually present in different colors, but the most common would be Aronia melanocarpa.The name black chokeberry comes from the berry’s tart quality, and the fact that it often makes your mouth pucker when you eat it. This flavor becomes much more palatable when the berries are sweetened or used in various dishes.
It is easy to confuse chokeberries with other unique berry varietals in the Rosaceae family, as their appearance and organic components are quite similar to other beneficial berries, but chokeberries stand out from the crowd in terms of nutrient concentration.
Rich in anthocyanins, carotenes, flavonoids, and various other organic antioxidants, in addition to vitamins and minerals, these super berries can play a major role in boosting health and treating/preventing a number of medical conditions.
Medicinal Effect of Black Chokeberries
There is no organ in the human body on which black chokeberry does not have positive influence.
- helps with headaches and migraines, regulates the level of thyroid hormones;
- regulates the blood pressure and the blood sugar and helps in atherosclerosis and thrombosis;
- reduces pain in the stomach, soothes the inflammation of the mucosa, intestinal spasms and helps to stop diarrhea;
- an interesting fact is that chokeberries helps in the treatment of inflammation of the urinary tract and prostate, even 5 to 10 times more than cranberries;
- has impact on improving the function of the pancreas and bile secretion, helps with inflammation of the gallbladder and bile ducts;
- Research of Russian scientists showed that black chokeberries accelerate the excretion of heavy metals and some radioactive elements from the body. After the nuclear disaster in Chernobyl, black chokeberries have been used to mitigate the health complications of irradiated persons;
- mature fruits of chokeberries contain different biophenols that accelerate wound healing ;
- Black chokeberries contain large amounts of carotene which protects cells from damage, the occurrence of eye cataracts and skin from dangerous sunburn and provides protection against harmful UV radiation.
- After regular consumption can decrease the blood sugar at patients with diabetes.
- Provides protection of the eyes. It contains flavonoid antioxidants and it is known that zeaxanthins have the ability to filter ultraviolet rays and protect the eyes from macular degeneration.
- Regulates the high blood pressure, because it stimulates circulation, protects the urinary track and strengthens the heart.
Mature fruits of black chokeberries contain large quantities of biophenols, pectins 0.75%, 0.5% tannins, flavonoids and anthocyanins. Substances as flavonoids protect body cells from damage and carcinogenesis. One U.S. study found that after chokeberries extract being implemented in treating highly developed brain tumors, occurred almost complete destruction of tumor cells within 24 hours, while the effect in colon cancer was 60% destruction of malignant cells.
Black Chokeberry – The Biggest Source of Antioxidants
The high amount of flavonoids and tannins makes black chokeberries one of the largest sources of antioxidants. U.S. researchers found that only 100 grams of black chokeberries have the potential of 16,000 ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) – units for oxidative capacity, while the recommended daily dose is 3-5 thousand units.
Vitamin Bomb, a Goldmine for Minerals
The fruits of black chokeberry is real vitamin bomb. It contains almost all known vitamins (A, C, D, B9, B6, B2, Vitamin E and beta carotene), and one of the rarest vitamin – Vitamin P. Just 100 grams of black chokeberries meet the high requirements of the body for folic acid. Also it is a goldmine for minerals like calcium, tin, iron, manganese, molybdenum, iodine and phosphorus. Black chokeberries contain relatively high concentrations of sugars by about 10% and low acid content of only 1%.
All in all it is ideal for full body health and wellness.
* You have our permission to reprint this article via creative commons license if you attribute us with a live backlink to this article. – Best Herbal Health
Subscribe to Our
Join Our Mailing List and Receive the Latest Healthy Tips
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.