These days, white rice has taken a back seat to brown. Why? Brown rice is more nutritious than white rice, and there are plenty of ways that you can incorporate it into your meals to make a filling and healthy grain option.
Cooking brown rice is a bit different from cooking its white counterpart, and it can turn out as either a hit or a miss.
If you are looking forward to some brown rice today, check out these three different methods for how to cook brown rice.
How to Cook Brown Rice – The Best Ways to Cook Brown Rice
Method 1: In a Saucepan
For cooking brown rice in a saucepan:
- Select a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid. A large saucepan will allow heat in the pot to move about more evenly. This will give your cooked rice a better consistency.
- Measure your rice according to how much you want to yield. For example, one cup of uncooked rice = about 3 cups of cooked rice.
- Once you have measured your amount, rinse out your rice to clean it well and get rid of any dirt, bugs, or particles that could have accumulated. Rinse the rice with cold water.
- Measure the amount of water that you need. You will need 2.5 cups of water for every cup of rice that you make. For flavor, lightly salt you water with one teaspoon of salt. Alternatively, you can use vegetable or chicken stock for flavoring. Once flavored, give your rice one stir.
- In a separate saucepan, bring your water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let your rice simmer. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the rice become tender and absorb the liquid. Let your rice cook for about 30 minutes and check it. Brown rice should take between 40 and 50 minutes to cook depending on the type of stove you are using.
- Turn off your brown rice and allow it to rest and cool off for at least 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
Method 2: In a Rice Cooker
For cooking brown rice using a rice cooker:
- Measure the amount of brown rice you wish to cook and rinse it off to give it a good clean.
- Drain your rice and pour it into the inner cup or vessel inside of your rice cooker.
- Add in about 2.5 to 3 cups of water depending on how much rice you are cooking. Do not forget to add about a ½ a teaspoon of salt for flavor.
- Make sure that the lid is secured tightly on the rice cooker, plug in your rice cooker, and turn it on. Once on, the rice cooker should display a red light.
- Allow your rice to cook for about 45 minutes. The cooker should automatically turn off and switch to “warm” mode when it is done cooking.
- Fluff up your rice for a nice consistency with a fork before serving, and enjoy.
Method 3: In a Microwave
- Get out a 2.5 quart microwave-safe dish for your rice.
- Measure out about 1 cup of brown rice.
- Rinse your rice thoroughly under water until the water runs clear.
- Prepare your rice with about 3 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You can choose to crumble in 2 chicken bouillon cubes into the water for added flavoring.
- Transfer your rice into your microwave-safe dish and give it another small stir to settle.
- Place your rice in the microwave uncovered and microwave it on high for 10 minutes.
- Take the dish out, cover it (do not stir), and then cook it again for 30 minutes using only 50% power.
- Once finished, allow your rice to sit and cool while still in the microwave for at least 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove your dish from the microwave and fluff your rice with a fork. Serve and enjoy.
10 Delicious Ways to Eat Brown Rice
Brown rice does not have to be boring. For some simple and delicious ways to serve up brown rice in your meals, check out these top 10 ways to eat brown rice:
- Brown rice and black beans
- Brown rice with tuna, avocado, and nori
- Brown rice with edamame
- Brown rice salad with spinach and tomatoes
- Brown rice stir fry with tofu and vegetables
- Black bean and brown rice patties
- Brown rice, chicken, and cilantro salad
- Garlicky brown rice
- Brown rice with pecans and cranberries
- Chick Pea and Brown Rice Salad (recipe below)
Chick Pea and Brown Rice Salad Recipe
You will need:
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 green onions
- ¼ cup of raisins or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup of slivered almonds
- ¼ cup of bottled or homemade vinaigrette dressing
- Combine all of your ingredients into a large bowl. Give everything a gentle toss.
- Serve immediately your salad immediately or refrigerate it for up to two days.
Make Healthy Taste Delicious
Brown rice is rich in fiber, cholesterol-lowering fats, and packed with nutritious minerals and antioxidants. It’s deep and nutty flavor makes it a staple grain that is anything but boring. With the above cooking methods and meal options, you will be able to create fun, deliciousness, and healthy options in the chicken with brown rice.
* You have our permission to reprint this article via creative commons license if you attribute us with a live backlink to this article. – Best Herbal Health
Subscribe to Our
Join Our Mailing List and Receive the Latest Healthy Tips
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.