Plantain salve is ideal homemade solution for bites, burns, eczema, cuts etc.
Plantain is a very useful herb that most people see it as a weed. It is amazing and magical herb that you can find it almost anywhere. In many cultures is called as a “healing herb” because of its great curative properties. From the leaves of this herb you can make a remedy for cuts and rashes, for insects and snake bites. Simply pick the leaves and make first aid healing salve.
How to Identify the Plantain Herb?
There are actually 2 varieties of this herb that you can often see in your yard:
- Plantago major, or more commonly known as broadleaf and
- Plantago lanceolata, also known as narrowleaf.
You can find it growing in almost every garden. Leave it to grow and simply harvest from it when you need. Their leaves are surrounded by flowers.
The important thing to know is when you are harvesting plantain; make sure you are gathering them from a clean area that doesn’t contain chemicals.
Homemade Healing Plantain Salve
- a handful of washed and dried Plantain leaves
- 4 oz Coconut Oil
- ½ oz Beeswax
- 8 oz jar (heatproof)
- Tear the plantain leaves into very small pieces and then fill the jar half full. Pack the leaves in there tightly.
- Add the coconut oil on top of the leaves. In a saucepan put the jar and then fill the pan with water about halfway up the jar. Set the heat on a low simmer. Let the oil infuse for around two hours.
- The oil will infuse for a few hours. Then strain out the plantain leaves. The oil will have light green
- Add the beeswax to the infused (prepared) oil. Put in back into the saucepan until the beeswax melts well. The beeswax helps keep the salve solid and firm at room temperature.
- Pour the oil mixture into tins or jars. Let it cool for a while. It will become opaque as it cools.
Add it to Your First Aid Kit
Use the salve on minor cuts and burns. The beeswax and coconut oil will actually help keep the moisture of the skin. Plus, the plantain will “give” healing effects. The salve is also excellent solution for healing sunburned skin and chapped hands.
Plantain is also perfect solution for bee and wasp stings, poison ivy, mosquito bites, eczema, diaper rash and psoriasis.