Are you usually eating fruit for breakfast, or you just have coffee? Are you perhaps one of those who leave home with nothing in your stomach? Then, most probably by mid-morning you already feel tired and without much energy to continue with your day.
Eating little or no breakfast is a bad habit, according to this research by the National Polytechnic Institute of Mexico, which we are often forced to do because we do not have time. However, possibly one of the best options to leave the house well-nourished is to resort to fruit. They will provide you with all the vitamins you need and, in addition, you can prepare a delicious breakfast in just a few minutes.
Want to know how? We’ll show you!
The great benefits of eating fruit for breakfast
Eating fruit for breakfast in the morning is recommended for all ages, from children to the elderly. Now, we already know that an apple, a banana, or a bunch of grapes can sometimes be a bit boring visually. It is not appealing and, in the morning, a bowl of milk with a chocolate or cream pastry may be more appealing.
However, resorting to this type of sweet in the morning is not the most beneficial for our health, as some studies claim. The reason? They do not provide us with nutrients, only calories. They do not satiate us and force us, in addition, to have to eat something half an hour later, because we feel hungry and we are low on energy.
Find out why it is so advisable to always choose a fruit in the morning rather than the classic industrial cookies or pastries. Here are some reasons:
After 6 or 8 hours without consuming anything, we cannot “fill” our stomach with anything
And much less with calories and fats from those cakes or pastries that we crave in the morning. Our body takes a long time to process them and, far from nourishing us, they still leave us hungry and without any really healthy energy intake.
The fruit is rich in a type of sugar that the organism assimilates very well.
Apart from that, it is also very beneficial for the brain in those first hours of the day. Think that this organ needs almost 20% of our total energy, and that glucose is that essential fuel to perform many of its basic functions. Fruit is, therefore, a wonderful food to clear our heads in the mornings and that, in addition, our stomach digests properly thanks to its fiber content, according to a study published by the European Journal of Nutrition.
Fruit is also rich in water, fiber, vitamins and minerals
Therefore, having fruit for breakfast in the morning will help us stay hydrated and avoid constipation. It is a more than ideal complement with which to start the day. However, remember that fruit should always be complemented with some protein and slow absorption carbohydrates, such as those from cereals. In this way, we will obtain a healthy, varied and balanced nutrition.
What are the best fruits to include in my breakfast?
Having fruit for breakfast is one of the best options to start the day, but which ones are the most suitable? Take note of which ones you can’t miss in your kitchen:
- Grapefruit. It contains a lot of folic acid.
- Orange and tangerine. Being citrus fruits, they are a great antioxidant.
- Kiwi fruit. It avoids constipation, according to studies on the subject.
- Banana. Its high amount of potassium would prevent muscle cramps during the day, according to some research.
- Pineapple. It is a great anti-inflammatory, as stated in this Biomedical Reports
- Watermelon. It contains a lot of water, which would help us hydrate.
- Apple. According to an research of the Chilean Journal of Nutrition, it is a great ally in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- Raspberry has a high fiber content.
Healthy and original ways to eat fruit in the morning
Here are some ideas for you to try:
- A bowl of oatmeal with two tablespoons of Greek yogurt, along with a diced grapefruit. Fresh apple juice.
- A banana cut into slices with honey, since the latter has healing properties. A natural apple juice with a spoonful of brewer’s yeast.
- A slice of rye bread with turkey breast and a slice of pineapple. A natural juice of banana or strawberry.
- An infusion of strawberry water, and some walnuts. These are a highly recommended source of healthy fats and are not fattening, as stated in this study by the Autonomous University of Baja California.
- A tangerine, a tortilla with spinach (which contains a lot of fiber), and pomegranate juice.
- Some diced Serrano ham with a slice of ham. A glass of natural orange juice.
To conclude, we are aware that many times in the mornings we do not have time to stop to prepare these breakfasts. However, most of them do not require you to open the fire or cook. All you need to do is peel, chop up pieces of fruit and use the blender to make a juice.
If you put a little bit of willpower into it, the effort is worth it. Having fruit for breakfast in the morning helps you to regulate your intestinal transit, to feel satiated and in a better mood. If you also include a bit of protein, such as an egg or a few slices of ham, you will get complete nutrition that will help you keep you going until noon without having to snack. Give it a try!