5. Treats Eczema
Eczema, a chronic skin condition that is also referred to as atopic dermatitis, can be treated successfully with coconut oil.
This condition of the skin is characterized with skin patches that become itchy, inflamed, red, rough and cracked. Blisters can sometimes develop.
Coconut oil is an agent with natural antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Moreover, it is helpful for restoring the health of the skin, healing damaged skin and preventing scarring.
Dermatitis in 2008 revealed that coconut oil has emollient and antibacterial effects that are very efficient in the treatment of atopic dermatitis at adults.
Below are some coconut oil home remedies that can be used in the eczema treatment.
- Apply some extra-virgin coconut oil to the skin that is affected. Rub it with your palm gently for a couple of minutes. Do this 3 or 4 times a day, especially at night before going to bed.
- For treating scalp’s eczema, put some coconut oil (warm) on the scalp and start rubbing gently. Do it for 5 minutes and then leave it overnight or for a couple of hours before you wash it off with a shampoo that is mild. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
- Consume orally extra-virgin coconut oil once daily (1-2 tbsp.) to help alleviate the symptoms of eczema.
6. Cures Piles (Hemorrhoids)
Piles, commonly known as hemorrhoids, is a painful and annoying condition that is characterized by enlargement and abnormal downward displacement of the lower part of the rectum.
Coconut oil is known to be quite effective in the piles’ treatment. The anti-inflammatory property it has is soothing the veins that are inflamed and is promoting its healing fast. The coconut oil is also a laxative and is promoting the movements of the bowel and is preventing the constipation, which is piles’ main cause.
- Take extra-virgin coconut oil (1-2 tsp.) daily for keeping the movements of the bowel in regular condition.
- Apply some coconut oil on the area of the hemorrhoid immediately after every bowel movement.
7. Boosts Energy and Stamina
In case you feel low in stamina and energy, you should start to consume coconut oil.
The fats that are healthy, particularly medium-chain triglycerides, are differently metabolized. This kind of fats are going straight away from the digestive system to the liver. There they are being used as a source of energy which is quick.
Moreover, the oil is producing energy that is longer sustained and is increasing the metabolism. That is why coconut oil is very beneficial for individuals that suffer from hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue.
For boosting your level of energy, take extra-virgin coconut oil (1-2 tbsp.) daily. It can be added it to your morning coffee or smoothies.
8. Reduces Seizures
A short time period of seizures is pretty scary, just like those people that have epilepsy and suffer from seizures that are repeated.
For reducing seizures, some recommend ketogenic diet (very high in fat, very low in carbohydrate). This kind of diet is altering the way how the energy is burned inside the body, instead carbohydrates it is using fat as fuel. The process is ultimately causing increased amounts of ketones in the circulation, which effect the brain cells therapeutically.
Coconut oil is among the main components of this ketogenic diet. That is because the medium-chain triglycerides it has.
A study in The Lancet Neurology from 2008 found that children with treatment-intractable epilepsy can benefit from a ketogenic diet.
If you want seizures to be reduced, take extra-virgin coconut oil (1 tsp.) three times a day. After some period of time the amount should be gradually increased to 2 tbsp. in a day.
9. Improves Cholesterol Levels
The healthy saturated fats in coconut oil can also keep your cholesterol levels under control. It basically increases the “good” high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in the body and helps convert the “bad” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol into good cholesterol.
A 2004 study published in Clinical Biochemistry highlights the beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil in lowering lipid levels in serum and tissues, and LDL oxidation by physiological oxidants. The benefit comes from the polyphenol components which are biologically very active and can be found in the oil.
A study in the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism from 2008 revealed that virgin coconut oil’s dietary administration is reducing the triglyceride and cholesterol levels and is maintaining coagulation factors’ levels in the blood.
By the improved HDL cholesterol and lowered effect of LDL cholesterol, this healthy oil plays a key role in reducing the risk of heart disease.
Also, coconut oil helps restore normal thyroid functioning, which when not working properly contributes to higher levels of bad cholesterol.
10. Destroys Microorganisms that are Harmful
If you have problem with a bacterial, viral, or yeast infection, coconut oil can solve your problems.
The component lauric acid that is found in coconut oil contributes for making it an effective antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal agent. In the reaction of digestion of lauric acid, a substance known as monolaurin is formed, which destroys harmful viruses, bacteria and fungi which are the reason for many health issues.
- If you have problem with athlete’s foot or fungi like candida, directly apply coconut oil on the area that is affected.
- If you take internally, the coconut oil is helpful for fighting harmful viruses and bacteria that could be very serious.
Internal Intake Guidelines of Coconut Oil:
These guidelines should be followed regarding the daily amount of intake of coconut oil. Also, always opt for extra-virgin or virgin varieties for best results.
- Adults – 3 tablespoons a day
- Elderly and teenagers – 2 tablespoons a day
- Children – 1 tablespoon a day
- Toddlers – 1½ teaspoons a day