Drinking oregano tea has long been a tradition in many parts of the world as a home remedy due to the oregano tea benefits for a number of different ailments. Oregano contains many important compounds including quercetin, eriocitrin, luteolin-7-O-glucoside, apigenin-7-O-glucoside, luteolin, apigenin, and rosmaric acid.
Rosmarinic acid and thymol are antioxidants that are very valuable and are part of the phytonutrients of oregano. These two antioxidant substances are drastically inhibiting the cell damage in the body that is oxygen-based.
Lots of studies revealed that the antioxidant impact of oregano is stronger in the body than the two antioxidants that are synthetic and are regularly part of the processed foods, those are BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) and BHA (butylated bydroxyanisole).
In a study from 2007 from the International Food Journal of Sciences and Nutrition, the results have shown that consuming oregano tea have antioxidant effect like lowering the levels of LDL (bad cholesterol).
Many studies revealed that substances in oregano can fight cancer. It contains the phytochemical Quercetin, which is known for slowing the growth of cancer and also promote apoptosis.
One study from June 2008 of the “Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology” revealed that the extract of oregano improved cancer’s indicators in laboratory animals who had colon cancer, an effect the authors attributed to oregano’s antioxidant properties. Even though these laboratory findings are encouraging, still a study from clinical confirmation with humans is needed.
Oregano have antiseptic characteristics that are significant, which may be helpful for preventing or slowing the growth of microorganisms that are potentially harmful. The study published in the “Journal of Food Science” found that compounds in the leaves of oregano have anti-malarial characteristics and slow the growth of microorganisms that are responsible for causing malaria.
One paper in the “Brazilian Journal of Microbiology” from the issue January-March 2010 revealed that an extract of oregano has stopped the growth of the used Candida types of fungi in the laboratory that are known to cause yeast infections of the vagina. Even though the results are encouraging, the fungi that were used were obtained from experimental animals and more experiments are still needed to determine if oregano compounds are equally effective against these and other pathogens from human subjects.
Oregano Tea Benefits to heal strep throat, sinusitis, & infections
- 4 to 6 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon organic raw honey
- Tea strainer
- Cut the leaves to release the oil.
- Boil the water for about 10 minutes.
- Add oregano leaves and allow to steep for five minutes.
- Strain and add the honey.
- Drink the tea hot for maximum reaping of the oregano tea benefits.
Uses and Oregano tea benefits:
- Headaches, coughs, swollen glands, bronchial problems
- Flu, depression, warts, head lice, and athlete’s foot.
- Eczema, ear infection, sprains, colds, and back pain.
- Gastrointestinal disorders / colitis, canker sores, Lyme disease, coli – and use it for whatever ails you.
- Indigestion, excess gas, bloating, urinary problems
- Allergies, burns, bleeding, fatigue.
- Constipation, parasites, fungus