The consumption of yerba mate has spread in many parts of the world. This is not just because of its medicinal uses, but also because it’s an interesting supplement to fight against obesity. In this article, you’ll learn about the benefits of yerba mate when it comes to losing weight.
Although not as popular as many other slimming plants, its preparation in infusion has become the ally of hundreds of people looking to eliminate fat.
While it’s not a “miraculous” tea, regularly drinking it can serve as a “boost” for those who have a slow metabolism.
What makes it so special? How do you prepare it? Let’s take a look!
What is yerba mate?
Yerba mate comes from the dried leaves of the Ilex paraguariensis plant. It’s a traditional drink from South America that has also been called “the drink of the gods.”
It has a slight bitter taste, like fresh grass, similar to that of green tea. In many cultures, they serve it in a little gourd that works as a container, which is given the same name.
The nutrients contained in this herb benefit both your health and weight. Believe it or not, it’s actually a highly nutritional food.
From it, you can get:
- Vitamins (A, group B, C),
- Minerals (calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium, potassium),
- More than 10 essential amino acids,
- Fatty acids,
Can yerba mate help you lose weight?
First of all, it’s very important to clarify that mate is not a slimming product as such. While its properties support weight loss, it’s essential to supplement your consumption with a healthy lifestyle.
Prepared as an infusion, it can accompany breakfast, lunch or a snack. Thus, throughout the day, its properties will stimulate determining functions to combat obesity.
Yerba mate has diuretic and depurative properties
Due to its high content of minerals and antioxidant compounds, yerba mate stimulates the functioning of the kidneys and the liver to detoxify the body.
These properties contribute to the process of elimination of toxins and liquids. These are factors that influence the slow metabolism.
Increases the energy expenditure
Although it has very few calories, mate drink increases energy expenditure and improves physical and mental performance.
Thus, it’s ideal to boost sports performance and increase calorie burning.
Helps to control appetite
One of its most important effects to lose weight is its ability to “cheat” the stomach. Believe it or not, it helps prolong the feeling of satiety.
Its habitual consumption decreases the anxiety that leads many to eating more than they should.
How to drink mate to lose weight
The yerba mate drink is a pre-Columbian tradition of the Guarani Indians and populations of Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay and Chile. In these places, there are variations of the plant. However, they’re from the same family.
The tradition is to drink the hot infusion in a container called “mate”. However, many prepare it at home with a basic recipe.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tbsp. of yerba mate (15 g)
- First, heat a cup of water.
- When it’s boiling, reduce the heat and add a tablespoon of yerba mate.
- Remove the drink from the heat source.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Drink a cup during or after breakfast.
- Consume it at least 3 times a week.
- Note: Avoid using sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Yerba mate has many benefits. In spite of this, it’s important to drink it with caution and not in excess. Also, keep in mind that is it not recommended for:
- Women during pregnancy or while lactating.
- People who consume lots of alcohol or tobacco.
- Cases of diarrhea (it can make them worse).
- The control of glucose levels. Therefore, it’s not advisable for diabetics.
- Before bed time. It contains caffeine, so it can cause insomnia.
- Iron deficiency. Some of its compounds affect the absorption of iron, so it should not be taken in case of iron deficiency anemia.
- Consumed in excessive amounts, it can affect the functioning of the liver.
Subscribe to Our
Join Our Mailing List and Receive the Latest Healthy Tips
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.