Delicious homemade chocolate spread for children and adults alike. It’s great for breakfast, a snack or as a dessert.
However, its high sugar content and unhealthy fats turn into a food that’s not very healthy.
In this article, we’re going to give you the recipe to prepare a chocolate spread with natural ingredients that are nutritious and healthy. Plus, its flavor surpasses that of any other conventional spread.
Chocolate spread that’s healthy!!!
Even though they sometimes try and sell chocolate as a healthy food, it’s true that this product contains a high percentage of sugar and unhealthy fats. These fats are derived from low-quality vegetable oils.
These ingredients cause imbalances in the body that can increase cholesterol levels, sugar, and triglycerides in the blood. In addition, this can cause weight gain and dental problems.
Below, we’re going to substitute other ingredients for the unhealthy ones so they don’t cause a negative effect, but are also rich in nutrients.
Sugar, especially the white refined type, has no nutritional value. Additionally, it acidifies and de-calcifies our body. These are the reasons we should find other types of natural sweeteners for our recipes.
- Stevia: Doesn’t have any calories and is very healthy. Stevia also regulates sugar in the blood.
- Honey: Even though it’s high in calories, it’s an excellent sweetener with medicinal properties.
- Other sweeteners: Whole sugar cane, agave syrup, maple syrup, panela, and molasses are other options.
If we choose healthy fats in our diets, not only will we not gain weight, but we’ll activate our metabolism to lose weight more easily.
You can find healthy fats in coconut oil and in dried fruit. These fats offer creaminess and moistness to the homemade chocolate spread. They convert into a food that fills with both energy and nutrients.
Homemade Chocolate Spread Recipe
This chocolate spread is sugar and lactose-free. It also doesn’t contain additives or other ingredients that aren’t necessary.
Thanks to its chocolate and toasted hazelnut contents, it’s a food that fills us with energy and vitality.
- 5 tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil (75 g.)
- 3 tbsp. of toasted hazelnuts, very finely ground (21 g.)
- 5 tbsp. of pure cocoa in powder (50 g.)
- 3 tbsp. of purified liquid stevia, unflavored (30 ml.)
- few drops of vanilla extract
Note: The ingredients in this recipe are adjustable. You can modify them according to your tastes. If you want it to be thinner or creamier, you can add more oil. If you want it to be thicker, you can add more cocoa powder or hazelnuts.
- If you don’t have ground hazelnuts, you can grind them yourself with a grinder or food processor. You can grind them for a few minutes to get a texture that’s spreadable.
- If the temperature is below 73 degrees F, you’ll have to heat the coconut oil a bit in a double boiler so it’s not solidified.
- In a large enough container, add the ground hazelnuts, the coconut oil and the rest of the ingredients. Then, mix them well to get a cream.
- Your homemade chocolate spread is now ready!
In addition, you can add some different touches to this recipe if you make some small changes. If you’d like to give it a spicy touch, you can add spices like cinnamon, ginger, or cayenne pepper.
To get a spreadable but crunchy texture, chop hazelnuts in small pieces in place of grinding them.
Substitute a ripe banana or avocado for the coconut oil. If you’d like a two-colored spread, leave part of it without cocoa powder and only add the rest of the ingredients. This way, you’ll get a spread with both brown and white colors.
If it is too strong, we can add cream of coconut or any other vegetable.
You can also keep this spread in small portions in the refrigerator or freezer using ice cube trays. It’s the best way to get little candy goodies!
If you mix it with a little coconut cream, it’s excellent for filling crepes or going with any type of sweets, ice cream or desserts.