To minimize the appearance of vitiligo we must be patient. Mixing topical remedies with the right infusions and smoothies can give us the best results. Therefore, you must try these vitiligo home remedies.
Its medical name is leucoderma, and it’s more common than you may think. It is characterized by the development of light patches on the skin.
In this article, we will tell you more about this problem, which can appear at any stage of life and we will give you 10 amazing vitiligo home remedies.
What you need to know about vitiligo
It used to be said that people with dark skin were more prone to suffering from it.
Later, it was said that white people were more vulnerable, given that the cause is the unbalanced production of the pigment melanin (which is generated by melanocytes).
The white or pink patches mostly appear on the face, the thorax, the hands, the armpits and the elbows.
The exact causes of this problem remain unknown, and it affects children, young people and older people in equal measure, regardless of ethnic group and sex.
It is believed that leucoderma may be triggered by:
- Poor functioning of the thyroid gland
- Hereditary factors
- Hormonal changes
- Diabetes mellitus
- Addison’s disease
- Pernicious anemia
Beyond these possible causes, the most widespread theory is that it is caused by a problem in the immune system. The body reacts differently to leukocytes, treating them as damaging invaders, and so it destroys them.
While it is not a serious or dangerous illness, it is annoying and, for many, embarrassing.
A quarter of patients of vitiligo suffer from what is known as “spontaneous re-pigmentation.” Among the factors that make this happen, the following stand out:
- Recent start (less than 6 months)
- Patient age (if they are young)
- Location of the patches (facial area, except lips)
Vitiligo Home Remedies and Treatments
Many people wonder whether vitiligo has a cure or whether they’ll have to suffer with it for the rest of their life.
If we go with the theory of it being an immunological problem, perhaps the easiest thing is to eradicate the root problem.
In this case, here are some vitiligo home remedies that may help:
1. Natural smoothie for Vitiligo
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 1 natural yogurt (125 g)
- Aloe Vera
- Chop up the half cucumber and put it in the blender together with a pot of natural yogurt and the gel of one aloe vera stalk.
- Mix until you have a smooth blend and drink it on an empty stomach first thing each morning.
2. Radish and apple cider vinegar dressing
- 4 tablespoons of radish seeds (40 g)
- apple cider vinegar (as much as you need)
- Put the radish seeds in a container and cover them with apple cider vinegar (so that the seeds are completely covered by the liquid).
- Leave it to soak overnight. The next day, crush the seeds with a pestle and mortar until you have a paste.
- Apply the paste to the area affected by vitiligo and leave it to act for 2 hours without covering it.
- After this time, remove it with tepid water.
Repeat three times a week and don’t forget that the skin must be clean and dry before applying the paste.
3. Wheat germ oil
Soak a cotton wool ball with wheat germ oil and spread it generously over the Vitiligo patches.
After 5 minutes, or when it has absorbed fully, you can cover the area. It is not necessary to rinse it.
Repeat every night.
4. Bee pollen and kiwi smoothie
- 1 tablespoon of bee pollen (15 g)
- 1 kiwi
- Before breakfast, prepare a mix of 1 tablespoon of bee pollen and 1 peeled and sliced kiwi.
- Put it in the blender and mix well.
5. Fresh basil and lemon juice poultice
Make a paste with a handful of chopped fresh basil leaves and a little bit of lemon juice.
Apply to the patches 3 times a day (morning, afternoon and night) as a poultice.
The basil stimulates the production of melanin and the lemon juice removes marks from the skin. Don’t forget to rinse well if you’re going to out after applying this remedy.
6. Lemon peel and alcohol remedy
- The peel of two lemons (or limes)
- 1 cup of rubbing alcohol (250 ml)
- Put the peel of two lemons in a glass container and add rubbing alcohol.
- Cover it and leave it to soak for 3 days in a dark and cool place.
- After this time, soak a cotton wool ball in the mixture and apply to the patches.
- Expose the skin to the sun for a few minutes then wash with tepid water.
Repeat daily (or at least 3 times a week).
7. Red clay and ginger
If you can get a hold of red clay (you can buy it in natural health shops), then we highly recommend using it because it is one of the best vitiligo home remedies.
Thanks to its high copper content, it could help to re-pigment the skin.
- A few tablespoons of red clay
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger (10 g)
- Water (as needed)
- Mix the red clay with a little water and the grated ginger until you have a paste.
- Apply generously over the light patches.
- Leave it to act for a few minutes and remove with warm water.
Repeat every two days.
8. Mango root soaked in alcohol
- 5 tablespoons of mango root (50 g)
- 2 cups of alcohol (500 ml)
- Soak the mango root in alcohol for 20 days in a dark place.
- After this time, soak a cotton wool ball in this mixture and spread it over the light patches.
- Do not rinse. Instead, leave it to dry alone.
9. Black pepper and Vitiligo
The latest research shows that one of the best vitiligo home remedies is black pepper. This commonly-used spice has the ability to increase the production of melanin in the skin.
One of the principal components of pepper is piperine, which stimulates the production of melanocytes. To enjoy these benefits, it needs to be used externally.
Creams or oils with black pepper as the main component can be bought in some shops, but can also be made at home.
- 1⁄4 cup of black peppercorns (62 g)
- 1 cup of olive oil (200 g)
- Warm the olive oil on a moderate heat and add the black pepper.
- Leave it to cook for 5 minutes.
- After this time, remove from the heat, let it cool and filter the liquid into a glass bottle or jar.
- Apply to the affected areas with cotton wool every day.
10. Mama Cadela Root for Vitiligo
Scientifically, mama cadela is called Brosimum gaudichaudii. This plant is commonly found in Brazil and the fruit is yellowish-orange. You can chew its fruit deliciously and the healthy ingredient can help you reduce vitiligo perfectly. Especially, mama cadela roots are useful for treating vitiligo.
- 10 g mama cadela root (dried)
- 250 ml water
- Boil the mama cadela roots for 10-15 minutes.
- While still warm apply the extract on the skin each day to decrease skin whiteness.
Via: Vkool | AllRemedies | Top10HomeRemedies
Image Source: NaturalHomeRemedies