In the past, the Japanese did not follow a meal with dessert, apart from some fruit. This custom is slowly changing and now many Japanese restaurants offer light desserts such as ice cream or sorbet. This, green tea ice cream is flavored with matcha — the finest green powdered tea available.
Amazing Japanese Green Tea Ice Cream
Ingredients for four servings:
- 17 oz. good quality vanilla ice cream
- 1 tbsp. matcha (powdered green tea)
- 1 tbsp. lukewarm water from the kettle
- seeds from ¼ pomegranate (optional)
The ice cream should be softened by transferring it to the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Do not allow it to melt.
Mix lukewarm water with matcha powder and in a mag. Stir until you get a paste which is smooth.
Put the ice cream (half of it) in bowl for mixing. Start mixing thoroughly after adding the liquid of matcha using a spatula from rubber, after that add the other half of the ice cream. The mixing can be continued until the ice cream gets pale green color that is uniformed, or it can be stopped when the color is white and marbled dark green. Put the bowl into the freezer.
After 1 hour the green tea ice cream will be ready to serve. Scoop into individual glass cups. If you like, top with pomegranate seeds.
- One special ritual which is elemental to the Japanese culture is tea-making and matcha tea is used in that ceremony.
- In order to make ice creams on other Japanese-style a puree of sweet French chestnut or Sweet adzuki beans can be used. Use 2 tbsp. soft cocked sweet adzuki beans or 4 tsp puree of chestnut per half a cup good-quality vanilla ice cream.
Subscribe to Our
Join Our Mailing List and Receive the Latest Healthy Tips
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.