Because I go hiking 4 times a week after work there are few crucial things I must keep in mind. First, keeping hydrated. Second, keeping my skin moisturized and protected from harmful UV rays. Lastly, I need to make sure I give my body adequate rest and allow it to heal. Perfectly clear right?
How about I tell you how to make something for soothing the aching muscles and for moisturizing the skin? The secret is: magnesium lotion.
Why is Magnesium so important?
Magnesium belongs to the group of one of the most essential minerals for the body. Magnesium is necessary for the normal function of the cells. In fact, over 300 chemical reactions in the body make use of magnesium. The many benefits of magnesium include:
- Maintains healthy bones
- Keeps energy levels balanced
- Promotes healing and soothing of inflammation and other injuries
- Helps in the absorption of vitamin D from the sun
- Promotes circulation
- Can lower your risk of diabetes
There’s no doubt that this mineral is important. However, the typical diet in America does not provide enough amount of magnesium for the body. In average one adult person is provided with only 66% of the necessary daily amount of magnesium. Read this article to find out some of the most common signs of magnesium deficiency.
Therefore, in which way we can get the necessary amount of magnesium? One way of providing the body with enough magnesium that you haven’t though of is taking it topically.
Did you know you can absorb nutrients and mineral through your skin? If you’ve ever heard of nicotine patches to help people quit smoking, it’s the same idea. Applying magnesium topically is a great way to reap the benefits of this mineral.
Dr. Norman Shealy, a member of the American Holistic Medical Association, made a study with participants that have used magnesium flake foot soaks. They also used magnesium oil topically every day. The results have shown that at 75% of the participants there was increase in the body’s amount of magnesium that was significant for a period of only four weeks.
Instead of a store-bought moisturizer, try this natural moisturizing body butter instead. Not only does it moisturize and calms down the muscles, it can also be a form of sunblock that is natural. The natural SPF range of avocado oil and shea butter is from 4 – 10.
Homemade Moisturizing Magnesium Lotion
- ½ cup magnesium flakes
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
Magnesium Body Butter
- ½ cup magnesium oil (see above)
- ¼ cup avocado oil (alternatively, you can use sweet almond oil or unrefined coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp. emulsifying wax
- 3 tbsp. shea butter
- Pour water that is boiling and magnesium flakes into one container. Start stirring until it is dissolved. Let it cool before continuing.
Magnesium Body Butter
- Use one small pot. Pour water to fill it about ¼ and let it boil.
- The heat should be reduced to a simmer and to fit to the used bowl that is pyrex or to a mixing bowl from stainless steel that is put on the top in order to get a double-boiler. The bowl shouldn’t reach the water.
- Add all ingredients except for the magnesium oil to the bowl and let them melt together. Put the bowl away from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When well-mixed, cool in the fridge for 15 minutes. Blend the mixture again. It is Use a hand blender to blend the mixture. Incorporate slowly the magnesium oil.
The magnesium lotion (body butter) you have made can be used for two months. For best results, store in the fridge for cooling relief.