Diabetes is a chronic disease in which the body can’t regulate the amount of sugar in the blood. It can be treated with natural remedies for diabetes.
In this article, we discuss the causes, types, symptoms, and treatment.
The Causes of Diabetes
Your pancreas produces the insulin hormone to stabilize or control blood sugar levels. Low insulin levels, insulin resistance, or both may cause this disease.
To understand this chronic disease, it’s important to first understand the natural process that food goes through when digested, processed, and used by the body for energy.
Several things happen when food is digested:
- Glucose (sugar) enters the bloodstream. Glucose is a very good source of energy.
- The pancreas produces insulin to move the glucose from the bloodstream into the muscle, fat, and liver cells, where it can be used as fuel.
Why Does it Occur and What Types Exist?
People with this condition have high blood sugar.
There are two main types and the causes and factors are different for each type:
- Type 1 Diabetes: It can occur at any age. It’s most commonly seen in children, teens, or young adults. In this type, the pancreatic cells that produce insulin stop working, so they produce little to no insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes: This type is a lot more common. It usually occurs in adulthood. However, due to high obesity rates, children and teens are also being diagnosed with this disease.
- In some cases, people don’t realize they have it. With type 2 diabetes, the body is insulin resistant and doesn’t use insulin as it should.
In addition, there are other causes of this disease, and some people can’t be classified as Type 1 or 2.
- Gestational diabetes is high blood sugar that occurs during pregnancy, where the pregnant woman didn’t have this disease before getting pregnant.
If any of your relatives, such as parents or siblings, have diabetes, it’s very likely that you’ll develop it too.
High blood sugar can cause various symptoms such as:
- Blurry vision
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Weight loss
Because type 2 diabetes develops slowly, in some cases people with high blood sugar have no symptoms.
Symptoms of type 1 diabetes develop in a very short period of time. The disease may be advanced when it’s diagnosed.
After a few years, diabetes leads to other kinds of serious consequences and complications which include:
- Eye problems, difficulty seeing at night or blindness. Sensitivity to light.
- Leg or foot ulcers that can result in amputation if left untreated.
- Nerve damage that causes pain, tingling, loss of sensation, digestive problems, and erectile dysfunction.
- Weakened immune system, which may result in recurring infections.
- This increases the chances of having a heart attack or stroke.
Effective Treatments and Natural Remedies for Diabetes
- Nopal: This tree helps lower blood sugar levels, and simultaneously, keep them stable. Nopal contains several substances, including fiber, which control and normalize diabetic patients.
- Omega-3: The omega-3 fatty acids in some fish increase insulin sensitivity in diabetic patients. Thus, they help control blood glucose levels. Doctors recommend consuming it in food and not as capsules.
- Onions: Consuming 100 grams of raw onions per day helps lower blood sugar levels in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes. This is because onions have a lot of sulfur and flavonoids.
- Cinnamon: According to specialists, simply taking half a teaspoon of cinnamon per day helps control blood sugar levels. In turn, this helps lower the blood pressure of diabetic patients.
- Blueberries: This is another natural remedy for diabetes. They help prevent eye problems related to this disease.
The antioxidants in blueberries protect the eye blood vessels and nerves and prevent the damages that high blood sugar levels and hypertension can cause.
Give these natural remedies for diabetes a try today!
Via: MedScape | Top10HomeRemedies